New Old Carpet

 To quote Margaret Olley "I've never liked housework. I get by doing little chores when I feel like them in between paintings. Who wants to chase dust all their life? You can spend your whole lifetime cleaning the house. I like watching the patina grow. If the house looks dirty, buy another bunch of flowers is my advice"
 I adore the sentiment.
 However, in real life, I'm not the biggest fan of dust ( Hello asthma) ... so for a few years now, until yesterday, our house was a carpet free zone. I let the patina develop on our floorboards instead.
But then, the house down the road was sold, a beautiful old brick, tile and fibro job with solid hips and dowdy knickers, and of course her new owners set about making her serviceable. 
I knew she had lovely carpet so I asked if they were going to remove it. As luck would have it they were ripping it out and it was heading to the tip (gasp) 
They were kind enough to get their tradesmen to rip it up and roll it up for me. I am so grateful. Isn't she lovely.
Now, I know that some parts of her are worn down and faded, but she whispers secrets of a by-gone era and for me that is precious. 












So now, I have Axminster runners and rugs... I shall vacuum more often (maybe not) but I will know that I am sharing my house with a gorgeous part of the old house down the road ... a little piece of history, nearly lost forever. And, because I think she fits in just fine, I'm off to find another bunch of flowers :) For the memory of Margaret Olley and for a celebration of the parts of her light and shade that I find in myself.
Above is a photograph by Ben Rushton of the celebrated Australian Artist Margaret Olley at her home in Paddington 2010.

22 comments:

  1. Hi Ava..my motto with housework is, that if it annoys me I'll do it. Washing up on the bench annoys me, so I do it first thing, dust...not so much, so it gets done not so often...until then I really don't notice so it stays! I adore your 'new' old carpet..just so beautifully grannyish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I like Ms. Margaret's philosophy!!! That's probably why I hired a housekeeper a few years back and wonder why I wanted so long!!!! Dusting? Bah!!! Vacuuming? Bah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my neighbour has almost thee exact same piece of carpet in her hall way.. i said if she EVER pulls it up call me immediately ..beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its great that you have used part of the old carpet - it looks lovely!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. she was a wise lady. your carpet looks great all in situ! enjoy

    fiona xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. the carpet suits your home beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aussie blogs just make me smile!!! I love your words. I love the carpet! I think it is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea!!! I would have saved that carpet, too!! It's so pretty!! I don't think I've ever seen carpet like that before with the all-over floral pattern, I love it!! :)

    Margaret Olley's work is lovely!! Reminds me of Mattisse a bit. I had to smile at her picture...we know several artists and they all have a similar look to their homes. I think all that creative energy inside them bubbles over into their surroundings and makes their homes so eclectic and full of life!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The carpet is absolutely perfect in your home. Maybe you could teach one of the children to use a vacuum cleaner?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post is so informative and makes a very nice image on the topic in my mind. It is the first time I visit your blog, but I was extremely impressed. Keep posting as I am gonna come to read it everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love, love, love! Well done for salvaging that gorgeous carpet, and the memories too!
    I must tell you that when we ripped out the ghastly flea ridden red carpet in our house (before I would even step foot in there) the man down the road claimed it for his dog shed. I often see it hanging over the road sidings drying and airing... yours is much, much prettier :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have quite the interior decorating flare!! I LOVE that carpet! Hope you are really awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You must have loved that old carpet so much! Why was it so precious to you, Ava? Is there a romantic story involved, somehow? :P Judging by the picture, the carpet’s design is actually great, and it’s still in fine condition, so I guess it's probably okay to use.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my I am in love with that carpet! and your blog...happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's really, really sweet. And also, I love that sentiment about cleaning and flowers because I try to avoid cleaning. Oy.

    -Desiree

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is lovely, indeed, Ava. :) The carpet has a classic look. I find it stylish, actually. I guess that one proves that your mom's mom knows best. :P The flower images also remind me of my grandma. She really liked having flower designs around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Ava, I hope all has been well during your blogging break. If I don't catch up before Christmas, have a lovely day and I hope Santa brings you lots of goodies, Tam x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have nominated you for a Liebster award.See my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The new old carpet is just beautiful. That quote is brilliant by the way. Although I do chase dust.. often.

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow, you're really getting spammed, I blocked anonymous comments for that reason. I adore the carpet and the wonderful wise face of Margaret Olley.

    ReplyDelete