Chalkboard Paint and a Scooter Cupboard

Busy times at the Picket Fence Household. School holidays ended and school went back yesterday. A big part of me is sad because I love having my brood about me, another part of me is grateful because I think I need the enforced routine that comes with school to get things done. My world has become a little more complex this week. Some dear elderly friends have become in need of support, they are both getting a little foggy and we have only just realised how foggy. They have no family, just us and so, to keep them living independently, we are incorporating their world into our Picket Fence chaos. Frequent daily visits and support are going to be the order of the day. I'm grateful to have them in my world, I love them like family. I'm just not quite sure how I'm going to fit it in with four children, and a not so Picket Fence Job. It's do-able, I just need to get myself organised. I do know that this silly little blog keeps me sane :) I'm grateful to the funny world that is blog-land yes sir indeed!!
This is the cupboard on our back verandah that we use to store scooters and surfboards, hula hoops , skateboards . All that stuff that needs to go somewhere but is difficult to place. Note the taped up broken lead light window stage left. Waiting for the glazier. Ahem , a little too much Picket Fence enthusiasm and a tennis ball......the joys ! (My walls in the above photo are not this colour ... I took this on my iPhone and its an odd instagram filter )
 This is how it looks after a coat of blackboard paint.
 Now they can draw all over it to their hearts content. Unleash their inner artist and perhaps ...play less with tennis balls on the verandah :)
 On the subject of inner artists...I am collecting supplies for lino cutting. I haven't attempted lino block printing since primary school and I thought it might be fun to do with the Picket Fence Children. I envisage making some cards and maybe some personalised bed sheets. An owl or perhaps a tug boat...we shall see.
 New bedspread for Miss Teen Picket Fence from the op shop. Score ...I swept the 8 million pairs of tried on and discarded clothes to the side for this photo. The reality of parenting teenage girls is the concept of a "floordrobe"
 Yes, I'm STILL in the process of painting the inside of the house. The school holidays have made this near impossible so the paint brushes have had a January respite . I did however realise that many of the curtains around my freshly painted windows weren't necessary and in fact added to the clutter I'm trying to reduce , so I pulled them down ...and cut them up....
 And turned them into cushions  instead :)
I'm working on decluttering.... but I found this tin yesterday. Patina to die for and containing nozzles from an old Tala icing set. Love it.
Oh and yes still trying to practise with my camera. This shot I took is one of my practise shots....seconds before Master Picket Fence tipped a plastic cup of water all over me.  Hmmm, Picket Fence Chaos...Just how I like it. What have you been up to ? Is school back in your household ? Are you grateful for the routine or are you whizz bang organised all the time ?



18 comments:

  1. I love those lino cutters - and the wardrobe looks great! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ava, so sorry to hear about your friends, they are lucky to have you. I am sure you will find a way to do what you have to, though it does look very busy in your neck of the woods! The wardrobe looks great with the blackboard paint. I love the sound of the lino cutting, particularly on the bedding.

    I am not organised, but I am improving. I get inspiration from others who are and others who aren't! Have a lovely week, with love, Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  3. great idea to paint the wardrobe in blackboard paint!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love what you have done with the wardrobe and your cushions look lovely. I remember doing Lino cuts at High School all those years ago, good fun.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving what you did with the wardrobe Ava, it not only looks good but is practical too :)
    Oh the joys of teen daughters....most days I can't even step foot in our girls room for all the clutter that paves the floor, thank goodness for doors that shut it away out of sight..

    ReplyDelete
  6. i studied printmaking at uni, i'm sure i've got my old cutters somewhere too! u have inspired me again. 2 tips to live by when lino cutting - always cut AWAY from your body, turn the lino so u can keep doing this. slightly warm the lino before starting to make it softer & easy 2 cut.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the floordrobe ...my son had one! daughter too, hers not as bad as his. that wardrobe/cupboard is wonderful!! and I love the bedspread and the whole patina photo and everything in it. And that is a beautiful photo in the bath just sweet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that cupboard. You would have to drag me inside if you were my mom...I got rid of the curtain panels as they cluttered up the space when I painted. So much more light now...smiles....Renee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many thanks for visiting Ava. I think many of us loved and still do love 'The Secret Garden', that little bit of magic hidden somewhere, just waiting to be discovered, it's what keeps us young! Much love to you, Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that cupboard! It is an amazing idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the idea of painting the cupboard with blackboard paint..it looks great. The cushion covers you made out of curtains, are just so pretty! Have fun with the lino block printing..sounds like fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Floordrobe!!! My 17yo daughter has one, too!!! Thank you for the term, I will be using it shortly!! :)

    The chalkboard cupboard is such a fantastic idea!! I love it when room is made in our home for our kids to be creative!!

    Lino cutting!!! Bravo to you!!! I've been wanting to do that for years...yes, I'm that lame!! I loved it in school and every time I see a print I get this pang. It makes me so giddy to see your tools!! And, I can't wait to see what you and your tribe create!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Ava ~ wow! I am always so impressed with all you do. My children are grown up, but I work full-time and since moving I still haven't finished sorting out my craft room. Hopefully by the summer I will be back to being more creative (mostly,I can't seem to find the things I need amongst the chaos!). Love the idea of painting your cupboard with blackboard paint ~ it looks great. Also 'floordrobe', what a perfect description ~ my daughter would certainly qualify in that area! Happy Thursday ~ Haizi

    ReplyDelete
  14. That blue bedspread is beautiful, Ava, and I love the black and white picture of your little one. I have been looking for a comforter for my bed, and haven't found any that I like. They just don't make them pretty like they used to. Love the blackboard cupboard for the kids. Oh, I took some ocean and surf pictures that you might enjoy. A lovely day to you, sweet friend.
    ~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Ava, love your scooter cupboard. I remember taking a big chunk out of my finger doing lino cutting during art class, I still have the scar...

    Hope you have recovered from the kids resuming school, boy its been a hectic week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi ava, sounds like u have some very busy times ahead (u r so beautiful looking after other people, as well as your family - if everyone felt the same, then perhaps there would be less lonely people out there!) - i love your newly painted cupboard & was very pleased to see it on your deck, as i recently moved an old vintage wardrobe (we actually found in the garden shed when we moved in)on to our side verandah for our camping gear.....(secretly it was just an excuse as i love it so much & didn't want to throw it out!!) - hope u have a beautiful weekend. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sweet mixed with decoration. Great post, glad Brenda of Cozy Little House posted about your blog today. I am following and adding your to my blog list so I can read more.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I came over from Brenda's CLH blog and love your home and who is that cute, cute little boy! You're a great photographer and I love that "sterilizer" along with all those beautiful items you have in your home.
    I'm a follower now! So nice to meet you! Oh, and love the cupboard on the porch...nice job!

    ReplyDelete