My Forgotten Oak Cupboard

Life gets busy. Sometimes too busy. It happens at marathon pace. In between raising children, working, hunting for vintage treasure and maintaining a creaky old house.....sometime I forget stuff. This old cupboard is a good example of that.   
See that mildew.....that's what happens when you score an amazing bargain on EBay, have it delivered miraculously intact by Australia Post, hide it down under the house to explain to your husband later ( i.e. put it in the house while he's at work and say "Oh that old thing, we've had that for AGES" ) and then, well, forget you have it ......for say 8 years.
Then, a pretty picture a friend posted on Face book made me go...." Hang on... I've got something like that somewhere" ( Thank you Melissa xx)
I dragged her out , scrubbed her down, put her door back on and apologised to her profusely.
Actually, sometimes 8 years wait can be a good thing. 8 years ago, I would have stripped this girls paint off and waxed her.
Now I'm in the whole original paint and patina phase and I'm so so pleased she was.....forgotten.
This is her now....waiting to be filled.  When Mr Picket Fence comes home and lays eyes on her, he will raise his eyes and ask questions.  I will be able to say with much joy and honesty
"Oh that old thing, we've had her for AGES"
Have you ever forgotten something?

13 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous little cupboard ... the wait was oh so worth it and ... you don't have to lie. Perfect! M x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous cabinet!! When I saw the first picture, I thought it was a big, tall, lovely fabric stash heaven. Still could be, of course, just a bit smaller. Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not os much forgotten as just "rediscovered" lol isnt it funny how dead seat we are sometimes and then just a little time later we love the same thing for diffrent reasons! its looks Marvlous in yoru kitchen! And I'd go 1 further with Mr. PF "Oh that old thing? I found it under the house..." ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous piece...so glad you decided to leave it as is, it's just perfect!
    Can't say I have ever forgotten about something I have purchased but I admit to leading my hubby to believing we have had certain things for longer than we actually have ;)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ava quick come over and check under my house. This is stunning. How could you forget this? Next time come and store your goods over here at my house...smiles...Renee

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty cabinet! It looks lovely, better late then never I say :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOLOL!!!! You remind me of ME!!!! It's like you subconsciously kept yourself honest!!! :) Haven't we all purchased something that needs some "waiting time" so it can explain itself??? LOL!!!!

    Well, it's a cutie and I know you will fill it up beautifully!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ava - what a beautiful piece! I sometimes forget things but not for 8 years - that made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this is just gorgeous! I could so see this in my place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a beautiful cabinet! I'd love to see it full of goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous cabinet and lovely story that went with it. Better late than never don't they say :) So glad you left the original paint, it is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous, love what you haven't done with her!

    ReplyDelete